Interesting article in LA tines today about the Super Max prison in Colorado. The US has currently 20% of the entire prison population in the world.
It’s not because they want to prosecute him themselves or believe he is innocent. Rather, the Irish court ruled that Damache, if sent to the United States, would probably be locked up in the federal “supermax” prison. And to the court, that amounted to “cruel and unusual” punishment.
“I am satisfied,” Donnelly said, “that prolonged exposure to involuntary solitary confinement exacts a significant physiological toll, is damaging to the integrity of the mind and personality, and is damaging to the bodily integrity of the person.”
Further.. Some stats
1. The United States has 5% of the world’s population, but 25% of the world’s prisoners.
2. The total incarcerated population in the U.S. is a staggering 2.4 million — a 500% increase over the past 30 years.
3. One in every 108 adults was in prison or jail in 2012.
4. One in 28 American children has a parent behind bars.
5. At the end of 2007, 1 in 31 adults was behind bars, on probation or on parole.